TCM Tinnitus Treatment Theory
Traditional Chinese Medicine considers a number of causes in the case of tinnitus. Trauma, dietary habits, emotions and certain lifestyle habits can all play a role in tinnitus. Below are some of the more common causes from a TCM perspective:
- Emotional strain, anger, frustration leading to LV fire or LV yang rising - usually sudden onset and loud ringing.
- Excess sadness/grief leading to stagnation in the upper warmer - weak Qi in chest which doesn't rise to nourish the head.
- Excessive sex a/or overwork - weakens KD - usually low pitch ringing but can be high.
- Old age - weakens KD Jing - gradual onset w/low pitch.
- Dietary habits - excessive damp/greasy/irregular eating leads to Phlegm which prevents the rising of clear Qi to the head.
- Trauma - exposure to loud sounds - excess type, suddent onset, loud ringing, aggravated by cupping hands over the ears.
Listed in our conditions treated section under »